Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Special Missionaries in Coban Mission

 I just had the most precious experience teaching English to missionaries in the Coban Mission.  Today I taught the Intermediate level (those who already knew some English).  There were three classes, each one with about 8 missionaries.

The last class had missionaries who teach in the area where we live now, around Cahabon.  And one of the missionaries said they were actually teaching some people in Cahabon -- on their phone, through the internet.  I told her that we would love to go visit them, if she could send me the information.  She is serving in the Fray Bartelomo area -- which is North of Cahabon.  It's very difficult to drive there from Cahabon, because some of the road was washed out with the flooding after Hurricane Eta.  

I also told them about Otto Rufino, who lives in Lonquin, and wants a Book of Mormon.  I told the story earlier about meeting him while we were waiting at a highway construction site.  He is the one that said he had learned some Hebrew, and that some of the words in Kekchi are the same, or similar, to words in the Hebrew language.  He said, "I don't know how that could happen," and we said, "We know," and we told him about Lehi leaving Jerusalem and coming here, and the Mayan people are descended from those people who spoke Hebrew.

I told the missionaries that there was a man in Lonquin that wants to read the Book of Mormon, in either Spanish or Kekchi, but he would prefer Kekchi.  They were all so quiet, I could feel the Spirit so strong!  It was such a special moment to be talking to these missionaries about the ancestors of the Kekchi people.

And, I hope we get to meet the people that the missionaries are teaching in Cahabon (where we are).  Sister Palacios will send us the information.

We ended the classes today by my singing "I am a Child of God" in English.  I encouraged them to find the words in English, and we would sing at the next lesson, and the next lesson, until they learn it in English.  That will be very special when we can sing it together.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment